18 Oct Your Rights & Responsibilites When You Move
“Important things to know when moving.”
Here are a few important points to be aware of when moving:
Movers must provide a written estimate.
- Binding estimates are an option.
- Non-Binding estimates are not always accurate. It is possible the actual charges may exceed the estimated amount.
- You can always request guaranteed pickup and/or delivery dates.
- Find out if the person you’re dealing with works for the actual moving company you are moving with or if they are a broker. A broker is not responsible for loss or damage. A broker’s estimate may not bind the actual mover to a price.
- It is important to make sure all paperwork is filled out completely before signing it.
- Understanding the differences between valuation and actual insurance is important.
- Be sure to understand what your mover is responsible for with regards to loss or damage.
- Witnessing the weight of your shipment is perfectly acceptable.
- Requesting a re-weigh of your shipment is also perfectly acceptable.
- Confirm method of payment.
- It’s always a good idea to get AT LEAST three estimates from different movers.
- Your mover must offer a dispute settlement program as an alternative means of settling loos or damage claims.
These are just a few important things to remember when moving. Of course, if you have any other questions do not hesitate to ask your freindly neighborhood mover.